dailybell: Caution Bell Onboard...

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Caution Bell Onboard...

It’s very convenient having the bell in the back of the car. The bell itself is prevented from swinging by being wedged in the back and tied with bungee cords. However, it’s too hard to remove and replace the clapper each time I want to ring the bell, so it just dangles and moves freely. As a result, the bell is the ultimate backseat driver. If I move too suddenly or break too hard, the bell RINGS really f---ing LOUD and scares the hell out of me. So I am being a much more careful driver.

The other advantage of having the bell in the back of the car is that no matter where I am at sundown, I just pull over, stop the car and get out. If there are people around, I quickly approach them to see if they want to ring a bell. Because there is usually not much time before the sun is due to set, there is not a lot of time for questions. I say “The sun is setting in 3 minutes and I am ringing bells everyday when the sun rises and sets. I have some bells with me. Would you like to join me?” Most people will postpone asking questions until we are already ringing. So knowing why is no longer a prerequisite to participating. It’s great!

No comments: