Links of Interest
- Equinox vs Equilux- ever wonder?
- Brenda's website
- Sunrise Sunset Calendar
- Solstice audio recordings from around the world
- FAQ's about the Earth's Rotation
- Ask an Astrophysicist
- Huna Wisdom
- environmental awareness ringing endorsement
- December Sun Watchers AUDIO ARCHIVE
- Daily Radio - December Sun Watching Schedule
- Baylink Bus Schedules
- Golden Gate Ferry Schedules
- Hiroshima Peace Bridge
- Total Solar Eclipse in China- 8/1/08
- Equinox Information
- Map of California Fires June 2008
- Manhattan Stonehenge 5/28/08 PM
- Summer Solstice Information
- Meridian Interns' Videos
- NY Times article - No Quasimodo... 2/8/08
- More Equinox Info
- Adria recommends this book about El Camino Bells
- Adria's link to info about El Camino Bells
- Anti-Salvation Army?
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Knowing Your Place
Sunset 7:34 PM Chicago, ILL
In order to say what the time sun sets it is necessary to know what time it is or where you are located. When traveling in an airplane several miles above the earth, it is difficult to know either (except for knowing your seat number which doesn’t help much). I have always enjoyed the challenge of trying to pinpoint the time and place of the sunrise or sunset from an airplane.
So when I saw that I would be in transit somewhere during the sunset hour on a recent cross-country flight, I looked forward to figuring it out. It turned out, however, that the sun set during a 4 hour layover at the O'Hare Int'l Airport in Chicago. No problem knowing the time or place of the sunset. Just business as usual on the ground, although someone on the PA did keep asking, "What's your 20?"
Posted by Brenda Hutchinson at 9:51 PM