Sunset 4:38 PM. January 1, 2016.
Links of Interest
- Equinox vs Equilux- ever wonder?
- Brenda's website
- Sunrise Sunset Calendar
- Solstice audio recordings from around the world
- FAQ's about the Earth's Rotation
- Ask an Astrophysicist
- Huna Wisdom
- environmental awareness ringing endorsement
- December Sun Watchers AUDIO ARCHIVE
- Daily Radio - December Sun Watching Schedule
- Baylink Bus Schedules
- Golden Gate Ferry Schedules
- Hiroshima Peace Bridge
- Total Solar Eclipse in China- 8/1/08
- Equinox Information
- Map of California Fires June 2008
- Manhattan Stonehenge 5/28/08 PM
- Summer Solstice Information
- Meridian Interns' Videos
- NY Times article - No Quasimodo... 2/8/08
- More Equinox Info
- Adria recommends this book about El Camino Bells
- Adria's link to info about El Camino Bells
- Anti-Salvation Army?
Friday, January 1, 2016
Many thanks to my inspiring friend and artist Linda Montano for this month's challenge.
This is it:
January Calendar Challenge:
DAILY BELL FOR YOU
PLEASE JOIN ME IN RINGING A DAILY BELL
HOW? FIND A SMALL MEDIUM OR LARGE BELL
WHAT ? GREET THE SUNRISE OR SUNSET IN YOUR PART OF THE WORLD
THEN? LET ME KNOW HOW LONG YOU WANT TO DO IT OR JUST DO IT.
Posted by Brenda Hutchinson at 12:30 AM
Thursday, December 31, 2015
Ringing in the New Year! (from summer solstice sunset bell ringing at Chapel of the Chimes)
The dailybell project/practice has been quietly amazing- despite the bells.
Each New Year's Eve, I have decided to recommit to the daily observation of the sunrise and sunset, and this year is no different. The original premise- that it is possible to affirm our connection to one another and to the natural through participation in a shared, elemental experience hasn't changed.
However, as each new year dawns, I like to come up with a different way to share the project. 2016 is a leap year, as was 2008 when the project began. It seems mildly auspicious and a good excuse to propose something major.
SO--Would you consider a daily practice of sunrise and/or sunset watching yourself?
There are only 2 things you need-
1. Keep this link handy
2. Remember to stop for a minute or so when the time comes.
There are many ways to go about it. Quietly as a personal practice. Invite friends (and strangers) to join you. In public or privately.
Eight years may sound like a long time, but as far as the dailybell goes, it's been oddly timeless.
Finally, for anyone who is interested in participating but doesn't want to commit to a daily practice, I am setting up a monthly calendar on this blog and on the dailybell sunwatch FB page. Each month, I will issue a different challenge/invitation for observing the sunrise/sunset that you might enjoy performing.
Happy New Year! Brenda
PS- Here's a photo from the first sunrise at the beginning of the project on Jan 1, 2008
Posted by Brenda Hutchinson at 4:01 PM