dailybell: Speaking of the plague--

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Speaking of the plague--

April 8, 2020. Sunset 7:39 PM.
San Francisco, CA.


Happy Passover! Standing on the corner with Mardi and Bernie nearby (but not too nearby) looking at the same view as yesterday but without the sun.

Listen. Day 18 - Ringing the big bell out on the sidewalk for as long as we are sheltering in place.
From Mardi this evening-- Spanish proverb “How lovely it is to do nothing and then rest after”.
Followed by—“Crows” by Judith Barrington
Crows startle the clouds
with grievances never resolved
and warnings blurted into thin air.

Once in a while, the cries of all those who tried to survive
pour from the funnels of their throats.
No wonder we never really listen.

Like most animals, crows tell the truth:
working hard to penetrate our tiny tubular ears,
they cackle on telephone lines while we watch TV.

Once I did listen to a crow, but even when I had heard
his whole story, there was nothing I could do.
Next, I thought, I'd have to listen to squirrels and coyotes.

I like to think I deal with my share of rotten truths
but I couldn't bear to kneel down in damp grass
and listen to the hedgehog or the mole.

Day 18 - Ringing the big bell out on the sidewalk for as long as we are sheltering in place.

No comments: