dailybell: Scary Crazy Person

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Scary Crazy Person

Something that I have gradually noticed, and I am not especially proud of this - is that the story I would like to tell is not the same as what is really happening. My story is the one where little by little people notice the bell ringing activity and become curious about it. Once they find out what it’s about, they want to do it to. Gradually more and more people pay attention to the sunrise and sunset and feel part of a larger community as a result. And we all live happily ever after.

One of several problems with this (aside from operating under such a delusion) is that I have been trying to force other people to be in my story. Sometimes I scare them. Sometimes they think I am crazy. The more serious offense and result of my narrative overlay on any situation or person is that I ignore and minimize what is really happening. I don’t see or hear or learn anything. All people become characters and actors in my story and I don’t care what their stories are. For this, I apologize.

I have confused wanting something particular to happen with wanting something to happen in a particular way. I have replaced questions with a demonstration. There’s more, but I don’t see it yet. In doing this, I have eliminated any chance of discovery and pretty much squeezed the life out of the project.

No comments: