dailybell: Where Have All the Ferries Gone?

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Where Have All the Ferries Gone?

Ferry Building Info , Vallejo Ferry Schedule , Other Ferry Schedules
Since I am continuing to go to the Ferry Terminal 2 or 3 times a week, and since there is very little difference from day to day except for the earlier and earlier times, I thought I would lump this week's Ferry Terminal ringings altogether.

4/25 AM Sandwich Boards and Sun Crossings

We made a little wooden sandwich board type of sign last night. So now I can announce the time of the sunrise and sunset and people can ignore or glance at it as they wish. One side of today’s sign said, “THE SUN RISES AT 6:21 AM TODAY”. The other just said, “SUNRISE 6:21 AM”. As a result of that beautiful sign, this morning was the first encounter I had with someone getting of the ferry. The man saw the sign as he was walking by. He looked at his watch, paused for a second, looked at me and said, very pleasantly, “You must have been announcing the sunrise”. And I said, “Yes. I was”. Hallelujah!

4/28 AM This is For the Birds

Back to the Ferry Building this morning. I finished ringing before the ferry ever landed. So I packed up the camera but went back and rang the bell as the boat docked. Then I got in the car and left. Even the custodian had yet to arrive. I hoped that the people on the ferry could hear the bell and associate it with the sunrise. (The sign on Friday should have been a big hint). I also felt vaguely smug like "You had your chance (to ring the bell), but you waited too long". It made me think about how the window of opportunity opens and closes and how it's not always convenient.

4/30 AM Resume the quiet landing

Ferry Terminal- I finally passed the time table for the Ferry from Vallejo and the one that gets in even a few minutes before that one. The Vallejo Ferry was still out in the bay making it's approach to the dock when I finished ringing at 6:15. So I packed up the bells, tied the big one down in the back of the car and left the signboard out until last. The boat was just docking as I drove away, and the sun had already cleared the hills in the east- Very beautiful and clear. I felt a small twinge of smug glee as I pulled out of the parking lot. The passengers on that boat had walked past me for several days -- not looking or acknowledging the bell ringing. No curiosity or good mornings, and hearing the ringing bell must have been a lovely way to get off the boat. Oh well, I hope they are pleasantly surprised in October if I still manage to go there.

No comments: